Sr Software Engineer
East Haven, CT
The role of the Sr Software Engineer is to work with Principle Software Engineers, Architects, Tech leads and is responsible for designing, executing, assessing, and troubleshooting System and Applications. This includes configuring, coding, developing, and documenting software specifications throughout the project life cycle of our large heterogeneous data backend applications that include several data sources, a number of servers, developed and run by distributed international team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyze, design, develop and deploy Contents and its pipelines and schemas
- Design, develop, test, and deploy new software solutions, enhancements, and bug fixes.
- Provide directions for refactoring, code review and training.
- Consistently write, translate, and code software programs and applications according to specifications.
- Run and monitor performance and quality tests on new and existing software for the purposes of correcting mistakes, isolating areas for improvement, and general debugging.
- Determine, develop, and maintain user manuals, training materials and documentation.
- Plan phases of the software development life cycle (SDLC) for a variety of projects.
- Lead in the preparation and documentation of software requirements and specifications.
- Design and implement long-term strategic goals and short-term tactical plans for managing and maintaining software.
- Conduct research on emerging technologies in support of systems development efforts, and recommend technologies that will improve performance and/or functionality.
- Confer with end-users, clients, and/or senior management to define business requirements for application development.
- Model business and application processes based on findings through use case scenarios, workflow diagrams, and data models.
- Lead a small team of Sr Engineers and Engineers and guide & mentor them
Education and Previous Experience:
Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent experience in software development
15+ years related experience and/or training
Knowledge & Skills:
- 12+ years’ of technical experience with core emphasis in Perl or Python scripting
- 6+ years of experience in C++
- 6+ years of experience in any one of the Search systems like Solr, Elastic Search, Lucene Marklogic, OpenText etc.
- 12+ years transact SQL/stored procedure development experience. Should know how to optimize SQL queries.
- 12+ in Linux, Linux/BSD command line skills, understanding of Linux environment/Kernel calls, network etc
- Hands-on experience with full SDLC.
- Source Code Management systems such as SVN or CVS
- Ability to understand quickly the entire system and all of its interactions, and able to tackle macro problems and dive into the different parts of the system effectively as necessary on short notice
- Effective technical communication skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Experience in UNIX environment and able to debug C++ in unix (windows experience not counted).
- Minimum 6-8 years on primarily C++/C programming experience
- Perl and Python skills good but secondary
- Must be a self-starter, and able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must be a Team player, with strong reasoning skills, who is able to effectively influence others, and who possesses excellent collaboration skills.
- Must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.